Global Youth Forum on Climate Change in Colombo Sri Lanka
October 18, 2016
Climate change is one of the key issues that the world is facing today. It does not spare anyone across the globe and increases the vulnerabilities of those who are already marginalised and discriminated due to other social and economic issues.
In order to address adverse impacts of climate change, we need leadership and champions. And for this youth play a key role in creating change, and could be among those who play the roles as champions of change to come up with changes in lifestyles and innovative thinking to address issues on climate change.
Global Youth Forum on Climate Change is organised as part of the Sri Lanka NEXT Conference organised by the Government of Sri Lanka, in Colombo Sri Lanka from the October 17-19, 2016. The event, first of its kind will consist of research symposiums, exhibitions, and discussions on climate change and how to address its impacts at the national and the international level.
The youth forum will be held on October 18, 2016 and will focus on creating awareness on the different impacts of climate change at the national and international levels, discussing the role of youth in finding solutions to climate change and taking climate actions. The youth participating will gain the opportunity to interact with experts in the field of climate change, meet other youth who share their interests and work on developing projects, which could be implemented to address climate change to mitigate and to adapt to its impacts.
An updated list of speakers is as indicated below.
- Mr Udaya Senevirathne – Secretary to the Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment
- Dr Sunimal Jayathunga – Director – Climate Change Secretariat
- Dr. Sumathipala – Advisor to the Ministry of Mahaweli Development and Environment (TBC)
- Ms. Vositha Wijenayake – Executive Director – SLYCAN Trust
- Mr Arvind Solheim – Low Carbon Development and Renewable Energy
- Prof. Buddhi Marambe – Chairperson – Adaptation Expert Group Sri Lanka
- Ms. Min Peng – Co-chair Adaptation Committee
- Kavindu Ediriweera and Charuka Udayanga – SLYCAN Trust
- Ms. Anoja Wijerathne – Disaster Management Centre
- Dr.Linda Anne Stevenson – Asia Pacific Network for Global Change Research
- Dr. Vishaka Hiddelage- UNDP
- Dr. Saleemul Huq- Director, ICCAD
- Xianfu Lu – UNFCCC Secretariat
- Sarath Ekanayake – CABRE
- IUCN (TBC)- Dr. Malalathanthri
- Mr. Sathurusinghe – Conservator General of Forestry
- Prof. Pradeep Terney – General Manager, Marine Environment Protection Authority
- Mr. Hemantha Withanage- CEO E-justice
- Mr. Sanjay Vashist- Director CANSA
- Mr. Ranga Pallawala- CEO Janathakshan
- Ven. Athuraliye Rathana Thero – MP, Sri Lanka Parliament
- Mr. Asoka Abeygunawardena – Chairman – SEMA